Remember my New Year's post about not becoming a hermit? Yeah...sort of failing that resolution and ahem... also failing my blogging and writing resolutions too. But for good reasons guys, I swear! For one, moving countries is a b****. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, unless you have a team of maids to pack your life for you. I haven't had the physical and mental energy or time to socialise or do much of anything really. The first couple of months in Dubai revolved around trying to find a place to live and dealing with the the nausea and exhaustion of pregnancy.
Yup you're heard me right- there's a monster growing inside of me.
Now, it was never really my intention to announce this to the world. But thanks to pregnancy brain, I've been losing track of the people who do and don't know and casually dropping the pregnancy news bomb on innocent friends. So now everyone should know and if you don't, it's your fault for not reading this blog post. Let's see how many people fail this very crucial friendship test. Mawahaha!
Another important factor for my disappearance is not having a proper internet connection. I mean I love you guys, but I'm not going to waste my 3G on Instagram posts and blogs.
Okie dokie, now that I'm done with my excuses, let me catch you up on what I have been doing:
Finding a school for Mimi. God who would have thought it would be so hard to find a freaking nursery for a 3-year-old. Applications, assessments, school tours.... We're done now for the most part, thankfully.
Querying The Tressians. Bring me a tissue box please. This has been an exhausting process, but I did manage to send a few emails and received some really lovely feedback from one literary agent.
Find a hospital for me and get on top of my appointments. This I've done. I'm quite happy with my doctor and inshalla everything from now on will be smooth sailing... until my body is ripped apart by this baby.
Translate Shems and the Magic Seabream into Arabic. Almost done with this, just waiting on editorial feedback from my spectacular editors (mum and dad). Once this process is complete, I'm planning on sending the translation to a publisher in Dubai. Fingers-crossed they like it!
Wrote the text of another picture book. This sounds impressive but actually, the whole book is like 70 words.
Some cool things and not so cool things that have happened so far
- Advanced copies of Shems were part of a book fair in Saudi! Yaaay!
- Advanced copies had a typo. That really bothered me. It's fixed now though.
- Went to a huge book fair in Sharjah and made connections with publishers.
- One of the publishers turned out to be a notorious vanity press out to steal my money. (This is why you should never get too excited).
- Got lost once.
- Got scammed by a taxi once.
- Almost suffocated in a sulphur-smelling taxi once (lots of taxi drama).
-Swam in an all-woman's beach. Best day of my life (sort of).
- Cried a hundred times.
- Had some truly excellent dolma.
- Made a super delicious chicken katsu curry.
-Had family come to visit a few times.
My goals for the rest of the year
- Give birth successfully. By this I mean, the baby is okay and I'm okay. And by that I mean, I don't want to die during labour or feel like dying.
- Potty-train Mimi. We're making progress but more work needs to be done on the number twos.
- Finish drafting my contemporary romance novel.
- Read, read, reaaaaad.
- Get Shems's Arabic translation published and in stores.
- Get a literary agent looool. You'll be hearing me talk about this one every year till I'm eighty.
-Seriously try to not become a hermit.
-Blog? At least a bit? Maybe?
- Social media stuff.
-Don't disappear for 4 freaking months.
Well that's it for this post! Hope everyone is doing well and killing their resolutions- unlike me :) Has anyone been up to some cool stuff they'd like to share? Let me know in the comments.